Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Preschool

While we were in Boston I received a call from Sammy's preschool informing me that they were closing permanently. I was really sad because I felt like it was a really positive place for Sammy to be and I didn't know of any other good preschools in our area. Well, her physical therapist mentioned one day that her niece goes to a great place in our town and then the next day at the library another mother mentioned the same place. I had never heard of the place before, and I looked at a lot of places this fall when I found her original preschool, so I really felt like I had received two signs that this was the place for her to be. I called them the very next day only to learn that they didn't have any room for the rest of this year, but the teacher agreed to call me later in the day to discuss enrollment for next year and also give me some recommendations for the remainder of this year. As promised she called me after lunch and told me that she had thought more about it and that she could probably make room for Sammy if I was still interested.

I went and checked it out the next day and was so pleased with what I found. It is just a preschool, no daycare is available at the facility. It is Monday, Wednesday, and Friday's from 8:45 am to 11:30 am and best of all her teacher is wonderful. She is a certified teacher that used to teach at Lewiston High School, but when she had kids she decided she wanted to do something part time, so she opened the preschool in her house. Her daylight basement is fully converted into such a cute little preschool. I think it is wonderful that her teacher has been formally trained to work with children and feel confident that she not only has the ability to assess Sammy's capabilities, but that she will tell me if Sammy is behind in anything so that we can work on it now before she starts school. All signs are that Sammy is developing normally, but the doctors indicated to us that we will have to watch for developmental delays in her as the surgery could have caused some damage or the tumor itself could have caused damage.

I feel so fortunate to have found such a great place for Sammy to learn and grow that is still so close to home. After we returned from Boston she was really attached, she literally wouldn't leave my side, so I think it is good for her to be out among children again. She always loved going to preschool before her surgery and I knew it would be good for her to get out of the house! She is also meeting children that she will be going to school with and I am meeting some local parents, which I think is great! The first two days she cried a bit when I left but quickly snapped out of it. When I dropped her off this morning there were no tears! She is doing so well, and I am so proud of my little girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment